Last week for girl’s night I created a new roasted eggplant dip. The dip, a healthy alternative to everyone’s favorite French onion dip, features roasted eggplant, olive oil, feta cheese and a few spices.
Really, it’s that simple. I swear it’s good, too. The ladies at girl’s night thought it tasted just like pizza. I suggest you serve this dip with copious amounts of red wine and pita chips.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil (preferably olive oil infused with basil)
- red pepper flakes
- cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Puncture the skin of the eggplant multiple times on all sides with a fork.
- Broil eggplant for about 20 minutes, rotating every 5 minutes, until a knife can be inserted and easily removed.
- While the eggplant broils, mix feta cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes in a bowl. (The cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes should be added to your own personal tastes. I happen to like things spicy!)
- Slice eggplant in half, removing soft insides, placing in bowl with rest of ingredients. Mix well. Chop and puree in a blender or food processor.
- Serve warm with pita chips.